Monday, May 5, 2014

My Narwhal Birthday Cake

Today is my 20th birthday. Yikes. Several months ago I was really anxious about turning 20 and it only got worse the closer it got to my birthday. People would bring up my upcoming birthday or the fact that I would be turning 20 and I would subtly (or maybe not so subtly) try to change the subject. I am sure a lot of people could not wait to get out of their teen years, but something about the thought of leaving my teen years and starting a new decade kind of bothered me. I have always been a nostalgic person, so nostalgia was probably the biggest factor. 

BUT, now that my birthday is here, it’s not so bad. I think it was the anticipation leading up to it that made me anxious. This is so cliché, but…it is just a number. I mean, I am only a day older than I was yesterday. And, today was a great day. I have a wonderful family and great friends that make me feel extra special on my birthday. :)  

I like to use my birthdays to try out new, exciting cakes that I want to make. If you remember, last year was the cactus cake to go with Cinco de Mayo. This year I made this little guy:



Mr. Narwhal, meet my friends…friends, meet Mr. Narwhal! 

Why a narwhal? Well, mainly because narwhals are awesome. :) The idea had been floating around in my head for a while, so he was picked to be my birthday cake! 

I took step by step pictures of the process, so I hope to post a tutorial very soon. I just have to finish my two last finals of the semester! It will be my first tutorial, so I am excited, but I hope I can pull it off! 

Alright, time for Mr. Narwhal and me to say goodbye for now. We will be back soon, as promised!


10 comments:

  1. Aw, so adorable! Hope you had a great Bday ;) Twenty isn't terrible, I honestly don't even care anymore, after 18 :P I just thought it was nice I couldn't be classed as a teenager anymore :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hazel! I did have a great day, thanks. :) You're right; all of my anxiety was for nothing and soon enough I am going to find out that 20 is a good age!

      Delete
  2. once again, adorable and delicious! Hope you had a great birthday, Jenn. Love you bunches!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy birthday Jenn! I hope your day was amazing as you and this cake. Wow, I am so impressed! I bet you love being 20 :) I always get freaked out about things like that and then, its all for nothing haha! Can't wait for the tutorial! I know they take a lot of time to put together, so I'm doubly impressed that you made this AND are planning a tutorial. Again, happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Frances! Yes! The worrying almost always tends to be for nothing, but it's hard to stop it! I think 20 will be a good year, though. :)
      As always, thanks for your comment. They always brighten my day!

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday, Jenn!!! I hope that your birthday was just as awesome as this cake! Mr. Narwhal is so cute!!!! Also, thanks for the wise words about approaching 20. You make a very good point. I only have a few more weeks until the big 2-0. :O Good luck on finals! We are almost done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck on your finals as well!

      Delete
  5. Eeeps, this is the cutest thing, Jenn! And you know how I feel about narwhals :) I am so not an adventurous cake maker but this little guy makes me want to try my hand at a narwhal cake! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I do! I actually thought of you as I was making it! Hopefully you will find the upcoming tutorial helpful. :) He's not hard to make, just a little time consuming!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!