Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Winner

Alright, so I finally got around to decorating the cake that won the poll, which was...(drum roll, please!)...the Masquerade Ball cake! I learned several things while decorating this cake, among which are:
I'm really bad at draping fondant to make it look like a tablecloth
Fondant 1/4 inch thick takes a long time to dry. A really long time to dry. 
How not to get fondant a nice red color
And how to make fondant taste like a cherry Tootsie Pop while trying to make it red. Seriously, exactly like it.


Originally I wanted the fondant to be a deep red color, like the jewel on the mask, but it just wasn't going to happen, so I had to settle for the mauve-y color it ended up being.
 The rose is a black fondant ribbon rose.
I hope this meets everyone who voted for the Masquerade Ball cake's approval. :)

1 comment:

  1. Well, I like it :) Yes, I know what you went through with the red. For some reason red, as I've found while painting, is a very hard color to get to the right shade. The color is not bad for the setting though as it kind of gives it a more gothic look like Phantom of the Opera or something :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!